What is superfast broadband?
Superfast broadband is a type of internet connection that uses fibre optic technology rather than copper wires to deliver internet to your home. It provides a faster broadband service than what you'll get with an ADSL connection, as well as a more reliable connection.
Specifically, superfast broadband is defined in the UK as any fibre connection that offers download speeds of 24Mbps or more. The higher the number, the quicker the data can be downloaded to your household. There are many benefits to investing in superfast broadband that can make your lives much easier in this technology driven era.
Superfast broadband is sometimes referred to as hyperfast or ultrafast broadband, but these terms usually indicate broadband speeds of several hundred Mbps or more. And in recent years, a number of providers have been offering gigabit capable broadband with average speeds of a up to 1GBps (1,000 Mbps)
Do I need superfast broadband?
- Large Households: If there are many people in your household using the internet all at once then a superfast broadband connection will be well suited to you. It will allow you to use multiple devices simultaneously and seamlessly, including laptops, phones, your smart TV, and your games console.
- Streamers: If you’re one of the many people who now stream and download music and videos from platforms such as Netflix and Spotify, superfast broadband will dramatically decrease buffering/download times, allowing you more time to do the things you enjoy.
- Gamers: If you’re a keen gamer, superfast broadband will improve the in-game responsiveness and reduce lag throughout, allowing for a smoother and all-round better experience.
- Video-Callers: When making a long-distance video chat the images should be super crisp, and you won’t have to worry about a poor connection – at least not on your end.
- Home Workers: As well as clear and responsive video-calling, with superfast broadband you can have multiple tabs open on your browser all working at the same time and speed, allowing you to work much more efficiently. If you work from home and rely on your internet connection, then getting a superfast broadband deal is a no-brainer.
How to get superfast broadband
Unfortunately, not everyone in the UK can get superfast broadband.
Furthermore, not all superfast broadband is the same, as the actual speed you get can vary hugely depending on the broadband provider you go for, and how much you’re willing to pay.
Some of the providers that offer superfast broadband are:
- Openreach Network Providers including Sky Broadband, TalkTalk, EE, Vodafone, NOW Broadband, Plusnet (average download speeds of 57-67Mbps)
- BT (average download speed of 67Mbps with BT Superfast Fibre deal)
- Virgin Media (average download speed of up to 350Mbps+ on top tier deals)
- Local Providers including Hyperoptic and Gigaclear (average download speeds of up to 1Gbps)
Last reviewed: 05 July 2021
Next review: 05 August 2021