What is BT Halo?
BT Halo is a service that promises to improve BT broadband customers’ connection and overall experience. It is included in a number of BT’s top broadband packages, although any new or existing BT customer can upgrade to BT Halo for an additional monthly fee.
There are currently two versions of BT Halo: BT Halo 3 and BT Halo 3+. These were preceded by BT Halo 1 and BT Halo 2, which were discontinued early in 2021.
They both offer a number of perks to customers, including free home technical support, no out-of-contract price hikes, and a ‘Keep Connected Promise’. BT Halo 3+ offers even more benefits to customers, although it comes at a higher price.
BT has teamed up with EE to provide a backup 4G connection whenever BT’s broadband connection is down, for whatever reason. For this reason, BT has advertised the package as ‘unbreakable broadband’.
What benefits do BT Halo 3 customers get?
If you upgrade to BT Halo 3, you’ll get a number of benefits including:
- Keep Connected Promise: If your broadband connection is down, or has cut out at least 5 times in a 24-hour period, you can contact BT who will send you a Mini Hub to help you get back online. The Mini Hub works as a backup router, using a mobile SIM to provide a WiFi signal at home. And if you’re a BT Mobile customer, you’ll also be automatically upgraded to an unlimited data plan while your home broadband connection is offline. Once your broadband connection is back up and running again, your Mini Hub will be switched off and you’ll have to return it to BT.
- Price Promise: Unlike regular BT broadband customers, the monthly cost of your package won’t increase once your contract comes to an end. However, this doesn’t include any price rises due to inflation. For example, if you signed up to a package that cost £32 per month, with an out-of-contract price of £40 a month, but the price of your package for new customers has increased to £34 a month since you bought it, you will pay £34 a month when your contract ends. Essentially, it guarantees that BT Halo customers will never pay more than new customers.
- Access to Home Tech Experts: Should you ever have a fault with your broadband connection, your router, or even your BT TV that needs investigating, then you can call out a Home Tech Expert at no extra cost to you. You can also get their assistance for setting up any new BT tech such as an upgraded router, and they’ll even help to connect non-BT devices to your WiFi too. On top of these call-outs, you will also be visited by a Home Tech Expert every year as part of your Annual Health Check, where they will look to see if everything is connected properly and offer any suggestions to how you can improve your service.
- Mobile Benefits: If you’re a BT Mobile customer, then you’ll also get further benefits relating to your mobile plan, whether you’re on a monthly contract or SIM-only package. This includes the automatic doubling of your monthly data allowance, as well as the previously mentioned Broadband Backup, where you’ll be provided with unlimited data on your mobile whilst your home broadband connection is down.
What benefits do BT Halo 3+ customers get?
If you choose to go for the comprehensive BT Halo 3+ package, you’ll get all of the benefits that a BT Halo 3 customer gets, plus:
- Smart Hub 2: BT Halo 3+ customers will be upgraded to the BT Smart Hub 2, which is the updated version of BT’s standard router. It has a few more helpful features than its predecessor, a stronger range, and comes with Complete Wi-Fi, which we’ll come to later. However, you may already have a BT Smart Hub 2 if you’re on one of the provider’s full fibre packages.
- Hybrid Connect: This is one of the main selling points of BT Halo 3+, combining BT broadband with the EE mobile network. You will be provided with a Hybrid Connect device which contains an EE SIM with unlimited 4G data. Whenever your BT broadband connection is down, your Hybrid Connect will automatically kick in, meaning you should never be left without an internet connection. This is what BT calls ‘unbreakable broadband’.
- Full Fibre Promise: If you’re not already a BT Full Fibre customer, your broadband connection will automatically upgrade to Full Fibre 100 as soon as it becomes available in your area, at no extra cost. This package provides superfast average download speeds of 150Mbps, and upload speeds of 30Mbps, which should satisfy most households.
- Complete Wi-Fi: Along with your BT Smart Hub 2 router and Hybrid Connect device, BT Halo 3+ customers will also receive a Wi-Fi disc. This is essentially a WiFi extender, and is intended to boost your WiFi signal throughout your home. BT guarantee that you’ll receive download speeds of at least 10Mbps in every room of your home; if you have a poorer signal than this anywhere in your home, you can claim for £100 bill credit.
How much does BT Halo cost?
The exact price of your BT Halo package depends on the version you get, the broadband speed you’re on, and whether you’re a new or existing customer.
According to BT, the price of adding on BT Halo 3 to your broadband package starts at just £1 extra per month. However, upgrading to BT Halo 3+ can add up to £45 to your monthly bills.
To make things simpler, you can purchase any of BT’s full fibre packages with BT Halo 3+ if you’re a new customer or looking to switch your contract. They start at £74.99 per month for the Full Fibre 100 package, rising to £85.99 per month for the Full Fibre 900 deal. They all run for 24 months and come with a one-off setup fee of £9.99.
This is how BT’s Full Fibre packages compare with and without BT Halo 3+:
|Deal||Monthly cost||Upfront cost||Contract length|
|BT Full Fibre||£34.99||£0||24 months|
|BT Full Fibre 100 + BT Halo 3+||£79.99||£9.99||24 months|
|BT Full Fibre 500||44.99||£0||24 months|
|BT Full Fibre 500 + BT Halo 3+||£84.99||£9.99||24 months|
|BT Full Fibre 900||£54.99||£0||24 months|
|BT Full Fibre 900 + BT Halo 3+||£90.99||£9.99||24 months|
If you’re interested in upgrading to BT Halo, take a look at the following deals:
Full Fibre 100 with Halo 3+
150Mb / second
£79.99 / month
£9.99 upfront fees
Full Fibre 500 with Halo 3+
500Mb / second
£84.99 / month
£9.99 upfront fees
Full Fibre 900 with Halo 3+
910Mb / second
£90.99 / month
£9.99 upfront fees