Cancelling your Sky broadband contract
Ending a relationship with any service provider can be somewhat daunting – there always seems to be some type of red tape. Having a good idea of what the cancellation process entails before you send in your request may, however, streamline the process. It can even give you a more hassle-free experience.
Here we’ll discuss everything you need to know when it comes to cancelling your Sky broadband. We’ll mention the steps, the cancelation fees, and we will even help you to find a new broadband provider.
When does my contract end?
The first step is to check when your contract ends. Most Sky contracts are tied to a term of 18 months.
If you do not have a hardcopy of your contract on hand, you can sign in to your Sky account for the information you need. Simply:
- Go to sky.com/myaccount
- Sign in to your account using your email address and password
- Once signed in, select the option “message centre” (found on the top right-hand corner)
- Select “your contracts” from the drop-down menu
- Your contract start and end date will now be displayed
Alternatively, you can give Sky a call on 0800 151 2747 to request your contract’s end date.
How do I cancel my Sky broadband contract?
If you intend to switch broadband providers, then ending your contract with Sky is a little easier. In fact, most new providers will do this nitty-gritty part for you. They will contact the relevant department at Sky to action the switch on your behalf. All you need to do is wait for the notifications and settle any cancellation fees that may apply.
To cancel your Sky broadband without a switch, then you will need to make direct contact with the company’s cancelation department. You can:
- Speak to an advisor via live chat
- Send a cancellation letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post a cancellation letter to Sky Subscribers Services Ltd, PO Box 43, Livingston, West Lothian, EH54 7DD
- Phone Sky on 03442 414141
If you are cancelling your Sky package before your contract term has expired, then cancellation fees may apply. These fees will vary between subscribers and will depend on:
- How many days are left in your contract term;
- How many days you have already been billed for in advance and;
- The type of package you subscribed to.
Essentially, cancellation charges are calculated as follows:
- The standard monthly charge;
- minus 20% Vat;
- minus any service charges;
- minus any agreed-upon discounts.
Can I cancel my broadband if Sky raises its prices?
In short, the answer is yes. If you are mid-contract and you find yourself being affected by a Sky price increase, then it’s possible to exit your contract penalty-free. However, there are a few rules that apply, for example:
You will only be able to start the cancellation process once you receive official notification of the price increase from Sky. You then need to contact Sky within 30 days if you want to ask to leave penalty-free.
Can I cancel my Sky broadband if it’s too slow?
If your broadband speed is slower than expected, then this may be grounds for cancellation. This is because your ISP is not sticking to their part of the agreement i.e., they are not delivering the average speed that was stated in the terms.
In order to end the contract due to a slow connection without paying an early termination fee, you will need to follow Sky’s tech support procedure. First, they will investigate your line to see if and why the speed is significantly lower and then they will attempt to fix it. If they are unable to rectify the speed, then they will cancel your contract with no charge.