What is superfast broadband?
Superfast broadband is a type of internet connection that uses fibre optic technology
rather than copper wires like many standard broadband deals
do, providing a faster and more reliable service.
Specifically, superfast broadband is defined in the UK as any connection that offers speeds of 24Mbps or more. The higher the number, the quicker the data can be downloaded to your household. There are many benefits to investing in superfast broadband that can make your lives much easier in this technology driven era.
Do I need superfast broadband?
If you only use the internet to occasionally browse the web or check your emails, then you should be OK with a cheaper, ADSL broadband deal. However, if you like to use the internet a bit more than that, you will most definitely see the benefits of a superfast fibre broadband connection. People who should be considering switching to superfast broadband include:
- Large Households: If you have a family with children who go online, or you share a house with friends, then you should have a superfast broadband connection. As opposed to ADSL broadband, you will be able to use multiple devices simultaneously and seamlessly, including laptops, phones, your smart TV, and your games console.
- Streamers: If you’re one of the many people who now stream and download music and videos from platforms such as Netflix and Spotify, superfast broadband will dramatically decrease buffering/download times, allowing you more time to do the things you enjoy.
- Gamers: If you’re a keen gamer, superfast broadband will improve the in-game responsiveness and reduce lag throughout, allowing for a smoother and all-round better experience.
- Video-Callers: When making a long-distance video chat the images should be super crisp, and you won’t have to worry about a poor connection – at least not on your end.
- Home Workers: As well as clear and responsive video-calling, with superfast broadband you can have multiple tabs open on your browser all working at the same time and speed, allowing you to work much more efficiently. If you work from home and rely on your internet connection, then getting a superfast broadband deal is a no-brainer.
Broadband for Multiple Devices
With technology ever changing and developing, we see our homes become more dependent on devices and appliances to control our daily routines such as security cameras and even light switches managed from your phone. These simultaneous connection demands created by a combined broadband usage would push a traditional broadband
connection to the limit. Superfast broadband ensures many devices can be connected and operated at the same time.
How to Get Superfast Broadband
Unfortunately, not everyone in the UK can get superfast fibre broadband. You’ll have to check first to see if it’s available in your area, which you can do with our broadband comparison
tool by simply entering your postcode.
Not all superfast broadband is the same, however, as the actual speed you get can vary hugely depending on the provider and how much you’re willing to pay. Some of the providers that offer superfast broadband are:
As with all faster, higher-quality technology, it’s expensive, so it comes down to whether you use the internet enough to justify paying a higher price for a faster speed. To find the best superfast broadband deals
available in your area, head over to our fibre optic broadband
comparison page now.
*Rated 4.9 / 5 by 19 reviews on Google