What type of broadband does my family need?
Choosing the right broadband deal for your family depends on your specific needs. This means how big your family is, and what your family members use the internet for.
How big is your family?
The bigger your family and the more gadgets there are in your home connected to the internet, the faster your broadband will need to be. When you’re all online together, you are sharing the bandwidth, meaning you’ll each get much lower speeds than the maximum speed advertised for your broadband package.
If you live in a household with five members or more, you could be defined as a heavy user and should aim for a package that offers 67Mbps or more.
What does your family do online?
If your children are grown up but still live at home, chances are they are online pretty frequently. If they only use the internet to scroll through Instagram, they may be classed as a light user, but if they like to stream movies, TV shows or music, or they play online games, they would be a medium or heavy user. All internet users can be divided into three categories:
- Light Users: Use the internet mostly to check emails, do online banking or shopping.
- Medium Users: Use the internet regularly to check social media, or occasionally stream videos or music.
- Heavy Users: Regularly stream online content, play video games, download/upload large files, have video conferences etc.
If you have a small family of light users, you may get away with a package with lower bandwidth.
However, if you have a family of medium or heavy users, you might find it more suitable to go for a package with higher bandwidth and speeds.
Compare broadband packages for your family
If you are looking for the best broadband package to suit all your family’s needs, you have come to the right place. Simply enter your postcode into our broadband comparison tool to compare packages where you live.
When you compare broadband for your family, consider the following:
- What speed do I need? The bigger your family, the higher speed you will need. We recommend 67Mbps or more, if you are in an area where this is available! With more bandwidth, you can do your work, your partner can watch their show, and your children can play their games, all at once!
- Do I need fibre optic broadband? To get the speeds required to support a large family, you will need a fibre optic broadband connection. ADSL would suffice for only the smallest families.
- Do I need TV? Many providers offer broadband, phone, and TV bundles, but they’re often expensive. Do your family watch traditional TV and sports or is it mostly all on Netflix? Make sure it’s worth it.
- Do I need unlimited broadband? With all your family’s devices connected at once, you’ll eat up a lot of data. Luckily, almost all broadband packages these days are unlimited, meaning you can stream and play to your heart’s content.
Best broadband packages for families
Now you know what to look for when searching for a broadband package for your family, let's take a look at some of the best deals around right now:
Virgin Media Biggest TV Bundle
While it's certainly not the cheapest deal around, Virgin Media's Biggest TV Bundle package has it all. With Maxit TV from Virgin Media, along with Sky Cinema, Sky Sports, and BT Sport, you'll have enough channels and live entertainment to suit everyone in your household. And while its average download speeds of 132Mbps aren't the fastest around, it should be sufficient for most families.
Virgin Media Broadband
132Mb / second
£79.00 / month
£0 upfront fees
BT Full Fibre 900
With 'gigabit-capable' download speeds averaging 910Mbps, and upload speeds averaging 110Mbps, there's little if not nothing you won't be able to do online as a family, from online gaming and 4K streaming to home working and video conferencing, all at the same time. This package uses BT's full fibre network to deliver internet to your family home, so it's super reliable too.
Full Fibre 900
£50 BT Virtual Reward Card
910Mb / second
£0 / month for 3 months
Then £49.99 / month
Trooli Full Fibre 150
If you don't have a particularly large family or several children addicted to gaming, and you therefore don't see the need to get the absolute fastest broadband around, Trooli's Full Fibre 150 package could be for you. This is a full fibre (FTTP) connection, so it's extremely reliable, and it's great value for money too. However, Trooli is currently only available in select locations across the Southeast of England, so if you live elsewhere, you may have to find an alternative provider for now.
Full Fibre 150 Home
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: First three half price!
150Mb / second
£15 / month for 3 months
Then £30.00 / month
Last reviewed: 27 April 2023
Next review: 27 May 2023