npower is owned by the Innogy Group, based in Germany. It owns a range of different power stations including coal, oil and gas-fired stations as well as Innogy’s 160 wind turbines and 25 hydroelectric power schemes. As the third largest energy supplier in the UK, they supply gas and electricity to 6.5 million customers. Their initial plans to merge with SSE were called off but in April 2019, npower merged with Sainsbury’s Energy.
npower is big on renewable energy. Their sustainable management of energy and effort to reduce carbon usage means that they are one of the few energy companies to have received the Carbon Trust award. They even offer a Go Green Energy Fix Tariff which plants a tree when you start using gas or electricity with them.
Benefits: Reasons to switch to npower
- Customer service policies are voted as much better than the rest of the Big Six
- One of the biggest renewable energy producers
- Use less coal than most other companies
- Their app has very good customer reviews
- Tariff enquiries – 0808 156 0056
- Customers moving home – 0800 316 8558
- Billing enquiries – 0800 073 3000
- Prepayment customers – 0800 073 3000
- Emergency – 0800 048 0540
npower energy mix
It's important to know where your supplier gets their energy from: