Share this guide:
Last updated: 21 May 2021
Is Amazon Prime Video for you?
Amazon Prime Video
When Amazon purchased Love Film, a former DVD rental service that had recently moved into online streaming, it was clear that they weren't content with just being the world's largest online physical retailer. The product they eventually developed from the Love Film template is now Amazon Prime Video, their first foray into the world of streaming.
What is Amazon Prime Video?
Amazon Prime Video comes free with an Amazon Prime subscription. So if you're already signed up to Amazon Prime for the super speedy next day delivery or to access books through your Kindle, you'll be able to access Prime Video as well.
If you're not signed up however, the subscription fee of £7.99 a month makes this one of the cheapest streaming TV deals available. While mainly servicing their own original programming and films, Amazon Prime Video also contains a large selection of classic and independent Film and TV, as well as a growing selection of live sporting events and the option to add-on various live TV channels to your subscription. Some of these are free and others come at an additional cost.
What are the best Amazon Prime TV shows?
Amazon Prime Video is home to a growing range of Amazon Original titles. While there isn't the same level of slick consistency you see from Netflix, Amazon has brought out a good range of TV titles that have gained critical acclaim. Plus these days it's the only place you can see Clarkson, Hammond and May if you were a fan of Top Gear! Here's our favourite 5:
1. Fleabag – A sharp, witty and infinitely rewatchable comedy created by future national treasure Phoebe Waller-Bridge about navigating life in London.
2. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – Amy Sherman-Palladino (Gilmore Girls) directs this tale of a housewife turned stand-up comedian in 1950's New York, which picked up 2 Emmy awards.
3. Sneaky Pete – When the creators of House and Breaking Bad come together, you know there's going to be fireworks! A career con-man takes on his toughest job to date in this one.
4. The Grand Tour – As we previously mentioned, the new home of Britain's long standing favourite petrolhead trio. Long distance races, an array of impressive vehicles and a smattering of slapstick.
5. The Man in the High Castle – Based on the novel by sci-fi hero Philip K. Dick (Bladerunner), this is a dystopian imagination of the USA in a timeline where Germany won WWII. A twisting and gripping thriller, executive produced by Ridley Scott.
What about Amazon Prime sport?
Amazon are investing heavily in becoming a competitive live sports platform, and they've so far secured the US Open, various Premier League and NFL games and Six Nations Rugby.
There's also their popular All or Nothing sporting documentaries, which follow life inside the locker room at some of the world's biggest sports teams. There is plenty here for sports fans to sink their teeth into, although most major live events are still on traditional live TV platforms like Sky Sports or BT Sport.
How many devices can use Amazon Prime Video at the same time?
On Amazon Prime Video you can stream content on up to 3 devices at once, provided you're not all watching the same title. You can't watch the same program on more than two different devices at the same time.
If using lots of devices is part of your selection criteria when you compare TV deals, many of Amazon Prime Video's competitor products allow access to more devices, such as Netflix (up to 4) and Disney+ (4).
How much does Amazon Prime Video cost?
Amazon Prime membership comes in at £7.99 a month, or you can pay £79 for a year, which works out at £6.58 per month. That price gets you all the streaming capabilities plus other Amazon Prime benefits like next day delivery on many items purchased on their site, a host of free books for Kindle and a chance to pick up some cheap deals on Amazon Prime Day.
For £5.99 a month you can subscribe to just Amazon Prime Video without the rest of the package.
How to cancel Amazon Prime Video?
You can cancel an Amazon Prime Video subscription at any time from the “Accounts and Lists” menu. It's a straightforward process but there are many pages to go through to confirm you want to end your subscription, so make sure you work your way through all of them.
If you signed up for Prime Video through an Amazon Prime membership you'll have to cancel that, meaning you'll lose access to the other services as well.