Is EE Broadband any good?
|The good:||The bad:|
|Wide range of deals||No TV bundles|
|Good value broadband||More expensive with line rental|
|Up to 20GB free data for EE Mobile customers||Expensive out-of-contract price hikes|
|10% discount for EE Mobile customers||18 month minimum contracts|
|Broadband only options available||Limited free gifts and incentives|
|Good customer service|
|Apple TV available as an add-on|
|Gigabit speeds available in certain areas|
EE is a large and well-known mobile network provider, but they also offer home broadband, phone and TV services. EE provide their broadband over the BT network, meaning it is widely available across the UK. They provide special offers to their mobile customers for broadband packages, so you may be able to get a better deal for both your mobile network and broadband if you sign up for both at the same time. EE are a trusted mobile network provider, but is their broadband any good? Continue reading our review to find out more.
How fast is EE broadband?
EE offer five broadband packages to choose from. All five packages are unlimited usage on 18-month minimum term contracts. Here are the five packages available:
EE Standard Broadband
Average download speeds of around 10Mbps and an upload speed of 1Mbps. This is a standard speed for connections that are not fibre optic – ADSL connections – and is a similar speed to those offered in basic broadband packages from other broadband providers. Should be enough for light internet users in small households.
10Mb / second
£22.50 / month
£0 upfront fees
EE Fibre Broadband
Average download speeds of around 36Mbps with upload speeds of 9Mbps. This is a basic fibre optic package, and these speeds should be good enough for a household of 1-2 people who occasionally like to stream online content.
EE Fibre Plus
Average download speeds of around 74Mbps and upload speeds of 18Mbps. This speed should be plenty for those streaming or gaming a lot, especially if there are several devices using the internet. This fibre broadband speed is similar to fibre broadband speeds provided by other providers.
EE Fibre Plus Max 100
Average download speeds of 100Mbps and upload speeds of 28Mbps. This is EE's basic full fibre package, and these speeds should be sufficient for medium to large households who like to stream or play online games simultaneously.
EE Fibre Max 300
Average download speeds of 300Mbps and upload speeds of 48Mbps. These speeds are entering the realm of 'ultrafast broadband', and it should be sufficient even for large households of multiple internet users.
EE Fibre Max 900
Average download speeds of 900Mbps and upload speeds of 48Mbps. This is one of the fastest broadband connections you can currently get, and there's not much you can't do without these speeds. Great for serious gamers and people who work from home.
How much does EE broadband cost?
EE broadband is one of the cheaper broadband providers, and most customers believe the provider to be reasonably good value.
Check out their top packages below to see what you'd pay in comparison to EE's competitors:
|Deals||EE price||BT equivalent package price||Sky equivalent package price||Virgin Media equivalent package price||TalkTalk equivalent package price|
|Standard Broadband (10Mbps)||£23.50||£32.99||£30||N/A||£24.95|
|Fibre Broadband (36Mbps)||£24||£27.99||N/A||N/A||£22|
|Fibre Plus (74Mbps)||£27||£32.99||£28||£38||£25|
|Fibre Max 100 (100Mbps)||£35||£39.99||£35||£44||N/A|
|Fibre Max 300
|Fibre Max 900 (900Mbps)||£54||£59.99||N/A||N/A||N/A|
What makes EE stand out?
EE have some great features and extras that they attach to their broadband packages. Here are a few features they offer:
- EE has two different routers – EE Brightbox for ADSL broadband customers and the Smart Hub router for fibre deals – both routers are included with your package.
- Mobile data boost – EE Mobile customers can claim a free monthly data boost if they sign up for EE broadband. Standard broadband and fibre customers get 10GB data boost per month, and EE Fibre Max customers get 20GB per month.
- Early cancellation credit – if you are switching from another provider to EE, then EE offer £50 credit when you switch. This can help with exit fees you may have incurred from your previous provider.
- Home phone – EE offer phone line rental with some of their broadband packages. They have various add-on packages that you will need if you use your home phone regularly, this will cost you between £5 and £12 per month depending on which package you require.
- TV packages – EE once offered a branded TV package known as EE TV, but this service was retired and replaced with Apple TV 4K. Pay monthly mobile customers are able to get an Apple TV 4K package which comes with BT Sport at no extra charge.
Are there any downsides to EE Broadband?
- Out-of-contract price hikes: While most broadband providers increase their monthly cost when any contract comes to an end, EE’s out-of-contract price hikes are particularly hard-hitting. Make sure you know when your contract is ending to avoid any nasty surprises on your bill.
- No short-term contracts: EE’s broadband contracts last for a minimum of 18 months, and most of their packages last for 24 months. This means you may have to pay high early exit fees if you want to switch providers before your contract ends.
- Limited extras: With EE you’ll get a broadband connection, a router, in some cases an Apple TV subscription, but not much else. It doesn’t offer any dedicated TV bundles and, unlike many providers, you’ll rarely get any free gifts such as a reward card or cashback.